Friday, May 16, 2014

A Death Defying Laugh.

It seems like the week went by really fast, but was also really long as well. Grad school started up again this week, and thank God there are no statistics involved. Instead I am taking a course in personnel selection and job analysis. I suppose it would sound boring to most people perhaps, but to me it is a rather fascinating subject. It should also be interesting to see my master's project continue to take shape. I have once again given in and now have a Twitter account; merely look me up by name I suppose and voila, there I am. I'm using is mainly to chat about my trilogy, but I've quoted House of Cards as well (how could I not; such an awesome show). It's hard to imagine that May is halfway over already, and that I have a year of graduate school under my belt; I would have never imagined back when I was in high school. So oddly enough on my Netflix queue I had The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, which if you haven't a clue who he is, then that is indeed a bloody shame. He is perhaps most famous for his role in The Pink Panther as Inspector Clouseau, and then Dr. Strangelove in Dr. Strangelove. In this biographical film starring Geoffrey Rush as Peter Sellers, it was definitely a side of the man I had never thought of before when watching his films. If it is accurate, he was a very manic individual, with a short temper, psychotically selfish, and God only knows what kind of mental illness he had. Rush performed perfectly, and I swear that he actually looked like the man himself, mannerisms, looks and everything; it was rather remarkable. The film was also peppered with greats like Emily Watson as the 1st Mrs. Sellers (he had 4 wives), Charlize Theron as the 2nd Mrs Sellers (I think she was supposed to be playing a French woman), John Lithgow as big time Hollywood director Blake Edwards (a longtime collaborator of Sellers'), Stephen Fry as of some sort of mystical guide to Sellers, and Stanley Tucci playing Stanley Kubrick (he was sublime, even though it was a very small part). A tremendous cast, and it was relatively well written by Christopher Markus based off of the book by Roger Lewis. There were times when there were things in the film that didn't make sense, but overall I'd say it was pretty good; I could see myself watching it again. If you like excellent drama then you would like this film, and to top it off it was produced by HBO. Peter Sellers unfortunately died of a heart attack in 1980 at the age of 54. His comedic skills are still making people laugh, but now you get a glimpse of the man behind the laughter and his struggles. There you have it. It is the weekend, so I am going to relax and enjoy myself; I suggest all of you do the same as well, as best as you are able.

Geoffrey Rush as Inspector Clouseau in The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers trailer

 The Flash trailer (looks...interesting)

Gotham trailer (looks like it has potential

No comments:

Post a Comment