Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Beginning of 2013.......

Well happy New Year to all! As far as years beginning, this one wasn't too bad I have to admit. So, apparently the U.S. government avoided "the fiscal cliff" apparently, although I have a feeling this headache is far from over. A possible solution, or rather radical notion, would be to dissolve the Federal Government and allow states to govern themselves just like they do now; there simply would be no oversight, or big brother in that regard. I wonder if that were to happen, which states would most carry international command. Probably New York, Texas and California. Anyways. So the day was interesting. I took a stroll down memory lane as my nephew pulled out my old G.I. Joe action figures that I had when I was around his age. I had a lot of good fun with those toys. It's kind of weird thinking of that being about twenty years ago. I was just chatting with a friend from Montana about how fast life is going by. I was watching some New Year's celebration thing on television last night and there were a lot of these young singers performing, and I was thinking in my head "who are these kids?" How the tables turn the older one becomes. Shortly before dinner I was reading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli and found a lot of good "soundbites" one of which I am going to share:

It makes him contemptible to be considered fickle, frivolous, effeminate, mean-spirited, irresolute, from all which a prince should guard himself as from a rock; and he should endeavor to show in his actions greatness, courage, gravity, and fortitude; and in his private dealings with his subjects let him show that his judgments are irrevocable, and maintain himself in such reputation that no one can hope either to deceive him or to get round him.

I highly recommend all people to read this, but I do forewarn that it is a challenging read since it is about 600 years old, give or take a hundred years, but it is certainly worth it. Another thing to keep in mind is that a prince can be taken for any person in a leadership position, so just don't think that he's only referring to royalty, although I am certain at the time he was writing this that was probably what was primarily on his mind. My sister and brother in-law popped in this one film Pitch Perfect from this past year, and I jumped in after it had already began. It's about two groups of college men and women who sing and compete in acapella performances. Essentially it is a comedy, and I have to admit that it was a finely written comedy. It had me continually laughing throughout the entire film, and although there were some very, very gross scenes and some uncomfortable scenes they were relatively easy to overlook. I'm giving the film an "Admirable Ability," but the one thing that really stuck out to me was the witty dialog that was often spoken and awesome comebacks all of which was written by Kay Cannon who wrote the screenplay, and Mickey Rapkin who wrote the book. Have a great new year everyone, and best of luck with those New Year's resolutions.

Pitch Perfect Trailer

The History of The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

No comments:

Post a Comment