Sunday, December 23, 2012

An Unexpected Journey.

Two Days Until Christmas!!




The day began with going with the family to church and then we had lunch at this rather charming Irish pub, and after that my sister kindly gave me a haircut and then my father and I were off to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Clearly I won't get to writing a review of it today, but I will attempt to sum up everything for the moment. In essence, I thought it was fantastic. I can't really remember much from the book, or rather particular details, but I do recall most of the important chunks. I loved all of the details that they inserted which weren't in the book, although some of the bits pertaining to Radagast the Brown were a little....odd, eccentric and....well not really mainstream, but it didn't take away from the film. There was some over the top action, but nothing too ridiculous considering the world all of this is taking place in. The dwarves, particularly Thorin and Balin were really amazing. Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins was perfect; that's the only way to describe it. All of the returning characters of Saruman (Christopher Lee), Elrond (Hugo Weaving), Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), Gandalf (Ian McKellen), Frodo (Elijah Woods), Older Bilbo (Ian Holm), and Gollum (Andy Serkis) were fantastic of course, and amazing to see back in action despite their somewhat diminished roles. I still think that Guillermo del Toro would have done a better job of shooting the film, in a way that wouldn't have appeared completely similar to Lord of the Rings as Peter Jackson did, which gives it rather the same old same old instead of something fresh. This however, doesn't diminish the film at all though; just a small complaint that is easily overlooked. I personally believe that this Hobbit trilogy has the potential to be far better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, if not necessarily artistically than definitely much more enjoyable. It seems like it will be like The Fellowship of the Ring for three films, which I think will be fantastic. I could go on and on for a bit about the film, but I think that will suffice for now. I encourage you to see it; it's definitely an excellent flick. For tonight's Christmas film we have Elf. Now I haven't seen this film in it's entirety all at once, but rather most of it here and there. Despite the fact that Will Ferrell is absolutely hysterically humorous, and that James Caan is present, I don't really care or like this terribly trite film. Well a few days until the BIG DAY. God bless and goodnight.

Elf Trailer

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Council scene

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment