Sunday, September 16, 2012

The March of Politics.

It cooled off today! It's amazing how much a difference ten degrees can make. Apparently from what I keep hearing this is supposed to be the trend, but I don't believe anything the weather people say anymore. Never do people get paid so much for being wrong most of the time. I wonder what the criteria are for being a bad meteorologist? I have arrived at the climax for my screenplay! I believe now I can see how it will end, and I believe it will come off rather well. Hopefully the people who I try to sell it to will see it likewise after I fine tune it a bit. I like finishing something from beginning to end, which if you have a series, trilogy, sequels, back story then there's all of this stuff that makes it all complicated. Uncomplicated screenplays are a lot easier to write, at least for me, although I have yet to write a fantasy screenplay, which I will have to attempt one day in the near future. The Ides of March is a very fascinating look at American politics at their finest, which I do not mean in the moral sense but rather how they are played out. Ryan Gosling as the main character (Stephen) is idealistic about the candidate he is working for and truly believes in what he is doing; he plays that young, energetic believer very well. His opposite number, Paul played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, is the jaded, experienced s.o.b. that will seemingly do whatever to win. Both are running the election campaign for Governor Morris played by George Clooney; his character performance is so genuine that you love him and then you want to tear his eyes out. Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood, and Jeffrey Wright all had minor roles, but their presence really helped enhance the quality of the overwhelmingly stunning cast. Political intrigue and escapades have always held my interest, and this film fits right into that. Now it is a small intimate film with a similar lens into American politics, but a pretty good one. It was directed by George Clooney and written by him as well; I can say one thing for this political activist actor, he can really assemble a great casting ensemble for a film. Good Night and Good Luck for example was similar, although much more enjoyable in my opinion. The Ides of March was good and interesting, but at the very end it seemed to lack momentum and ended too soon. It would have been nice to see the story carried further, so it gets an "Admirable Ability". It's good and relatively entertaining, although it could be construed as slow. So if action is your thing, then you might want to avoid this. The weekend is over and another week has come. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

The Ides of March Trailer

Mama Trailer (I don't usually watch these kinds of films, but I like Guillermo del Toro's work).

No comments:

Post a Comment