Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Feeling Artistic?

I stepped into Target tonight and was getting myself a bit of sustenance when I found myself in the candy aisle and then glancing to my right noticed that a part of the back wall was all candy. I looked up and then realized that it was in preparation for Halloween. My mind has been stuck in June for so long, that I completely forgot about Halloween, and then Thanksgiving will be after that, but not before my sister gets married! That's going to be a lot of fun as I am walking her down the aisle and am going to be a groomsman for my new brother-in-law. I don't know how many of you love candy, but it is certainly a weakness of mine; I try to remain in moderation though since it isn't very good for one's teeth. I watched The Artist this past evening and found it to be quite delightful, although at times boring due to the fact that there isn't any spoken dialogue, which annoyed me at times, but most of the time I never noticed. It was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won 5 including: Best Costume Design, Best Directing, Best Original Score, Best Picture, and Best Actor. All of these awards were well earned. As you can imagine, in a silent picture the music carries so much weight since it is the only sound and Ludovic Bource wowed me for certain. His music reminded me of Erich Wolfgang Korngold who scored many of Errol Flynn's high adventure films like The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Seahawk and Captain Blood. Jean Dujardin was amazing; for not hearing a single morsel of dialogue, he poured his heart into this role, and his supporting friend the little dog was a frequent nice touch to what was happening on the screen. Michael Hazanavicius who directed and wrote the film earned his Oscars definitely. Berenice Bejo earned a nomination for her role, but didn't win (the Oscar went to The Help star Octavia Spencer). She also performed incredibly. All in all it was a beautifully acted, exquisite looking film that was a lot of fun, and had a lot of hard earned heart. I'm giving it a "Strong Ability" and recommend it to people to watch, and I will certainly see it again. And if the whole silent film bothers you, think about how hard it must be to truly craft a good film without dialogue. It's also a great film to watch with groups of people or with family. Well Russia may or may not be America's number one geopolitical enemy, but one thing is for certain is that they continue their scaling back of freedom and voices of pro-democracy. It's a shame that America's "reset" with Russia seems to be buck in the proverbial Russian winter. Hopefully the people of Syria will have more luck ousting their dictator, which seems stuck in a gritty malaise at the moment. And as for Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya, they've just got to hang in there and work hard to keep that democracy they just earned. It ain't to automatically convert after years of oppression. Back when the United States was first a country, everyone though it was going to go under. Were those pundits wrong.

The Artist Trailer

The Artist Behind the Scenes

No comments:

Post a Comment