Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Do I Kill Everything that I Love?"

I am certain the frequent readers of this blog are getting tired of reading me writing about how indignant the heat is out here in Southern California, but I must admit that I am in a similar boat. This blasted weather cannot seem to make up its mind for whatever reason, and for Pete's sake it's almost October and the heat remains ungodly. The news hasn't gotten any better either, although I am hoping for a set of miracles this week. Let's all hope that my faith is rewarded, otherwise I am most likely going to be in for some much cooler weather for the winters months. Oh a brief word of advice to men who grow hair equivalent to what is on Wookies; be very careful when trimming or shaving the hair in your armpits. I watched the film J. Edgar tonight and boy was that a boring film. There's no beating around the bush on this one. It was a poorly written, or rather put together screenplay by Dustin Lance Black, which surprised me since the man usually does well with his talents. Clint Eastwood did a fine job of directing and shooting the film and everything looked great, and even Leonardo DiCaprio (as J. Edgar Hoover) and Armie Hammer (Clyde Tolson) worked very well as their characters (although I know nothing of the real people). The real enemy of the film was pace and how the screenplay was set up; flashbacks and flashforwards and then with so much going back and forth no story was every clearly defined. There was some drama, but it was mostly all information presented in a film fashion, and I didn't like that. Eastwood had a chance to really illuminate a pioneer of crime fighting, and it pretty much sucked on that account; very disappointing. Slow is the key word, which I can usually handle if all of the other elements are present that make it worth while, for example Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is slow but did really well everywhere else mostly. I'm giving the film a "Yearning Ability" as there are few redeeming qualities about it, and I don't know if I'd ever want to use my time watching it again. Hoover's story is very fascinating, interesting and compelling so I hope some great justice is done to his life as the man very much deserves, despite many faults.

"When morals decline and good men do nothing, evil flourishes. A society unwilling to learn from its past is doomed. We must never forget our history. We must never lower our guard."
                                                                                                         -J. Edgar Hoover

J. Edgar Trailer

Documentary on the real J. Edgar Hoover

No comments:

Post a Comment