Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dangerously Methodical.

Where did the day go? I seem to remember getting up early and doing a few things before it was afternoon, which flew by even quicker and then I was at some family friends' house celebrating a birthday (happy birthday Jennifer! Congrats), and then doing a lot of chatting. I had a very lovely time, as per usual, and came back to my roasting apartment as the A/C remains offline. I watched though A Dangerous Method which stars Michael Fassbender (Carl Jung), Viggo Mortensen (Sigmund Freud), and Keira Knightley (Sabina Spielrein). It was certainly a very fascinating story and perspective on the early development of psychoanalytic and psycho-dynamic theories, and how the relationship of Freud and Jung grew and then split apart. All three of the main performances were delivered flawlessly; Viggo Mortensen as Freud was perfect, I didn't even see the actor but rather the man. Carl Jung and Michael Fassbender looked very much alike, although I confess to know less about him in real life. And as for Keira Knightley's character, I know very little, although her performance was top notch. The film in general was good, but might have only been because I found the psychological content and historical reality of the individuals interesting and thought provoking as I was analyzing stuff left and right. I would be able to understand if people construed the film as being boring, as there were parts to it that were, but the acting was well done as was the screenplay by Christopher Hampton, and the film was directed by David Cronenberg. I giving it an "Admirable Ability" as I'm not sure I'd like to watch it again, and there was the boring factor as well along with some other things peppered throughout the film. I'd say the general public wouldn't care for it much; it appeals I think mainly to those in the field of psychology, or those that find the field fascinating. I am very sleepy right now so I'm going to chill a little bit before bed. I was so vexed that the cloudy weather vanished and was replaced by a hot sun and a humid atmosphere. There's always hope for tomorrow.

A Dangerous Method Trailer

Director David Cronenberg discuses A Dangerous Method

No comments:

Post a Comment