Friday, August 24, 2012

Off To War!

So I got up really, really early in the morning (for lazy me of course) at 7:45 to go have breakfast with a close friend who is returning to Iraq to teach English on Sunday. It was a good time, and I will miss my dear friend whom I will not see again for another year almost, but hopefully no longer than that. During another part of the day I took a walk down memory lane and was reading some old computer game manuals from games I used to play when I was very young. That was lovely, I'd actually forgotten about some of them. It's strange, thinking of myself as progressively getting older and older each year because I don't really feel that way inside, despite walking and moving about like an old man. It's strange to think that I'll be 27 next year, but I don't know how I am getting onto that subject. I for one am not the sort to lament the passage of time, and the effects wreaked upon the body. I watched the film War Horse this evening, and I was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed and liked it. Steven Spielberg once again demonstrates that he is the master of character driven films. The cinematography was breathtaking, but the best shot/scene of the entire film was the very end. Wow that was incredible, and really showcases all of the talent that worked on the film. John Williams did well with his usual sweeping, epic score (though I can recall no notable motifs or themes), and the screenplay was well done too. I don't think I was ever bored, and I was more than once surprised with how the story turned. I would have never thought that I would get attached to a character that was a horse; it takes talent to get the audience to feel that way towards a character that doesn't even speak. The cast was incredible (and British). You had Tom Hiddleston, David Thewlis, Emily Watson, Benedict Cumberbatch, and newcomer Jeremy Irvine who played essentially the hero of the story, Albert. It is based off of a book by Michael Morpurgo. It was a very moving film, and yes I even teared up a little sporadically throughout the film and then allowed myself to shed a few more tears towards the end. It's an excellent film and deserves a "Strong Ability." And now I find myself liking horses more than ever. Hope everyone has a good weekend; I have two books to read. The next two books in the "Earthsea Cycle" The Tombs of Atuan & The Farthest Shore. We shall see if they're any better or just as worse as the first book.

War Horse Trailer

Teaser Trailer for Passion (looks pretty intense).

No comments:

Post a Comment