Sunday, August 19, 2012

Not as Hot.

Despite the temperature being quite high today, it didn't quite reach as high as yesterday, and it cooled off much quicker once the sun had gone down as well. That was such a relief! I was thinking of visiting Starbucks again today to remain cool while I did some writing, but I just didn't feel up to it, and I actually did fairly well without the constant cool air and got quite a bit of writing done, although it isn't anything I can post or talk about about. Top secret and all of that, but it is coming along quite nicely. A hint I can give is that it has something to do around Napoleonic Europe, in that setting as well. It's going to be a lot of fun, especially when it gets completed. Aside from doing that and my normal Sunday routine I sat down to watch a film that I been wanting to see ever since I heard that it was released; Albert Nobbs. It stars Glenn Close as the title character Mr. Albert Nobbs, and I have to say that she did one hell of a fantastic job on this performance. She never wavers, not even when it is revealed that she is a woman instead of a man. And what a star studded cast as well. There's Mia Wasikowska (who was okay; I'm not a fan of her work so far on any of her productions), Maria Doyle Kennedy, Mark Williams, Brendan Gleeson, Jonathan Rhys Myers, and Janet McTeer. It was a fantastic cast (entirely British, Scottish or Irish is why that is) and had a relatively good screenplay, but it was kind of dull and I had difficulty hearing all of the dialog so I had to the put the subtitles on. It definitely has a different take on life in Ireland during the beginning of the 20th century for women, and I have to admit that this film paints a rather bleak picture for women during that time that aren't rich, powerful, or influential. Very sad, but an interesting film; won't kill ya though if you never see it. I'm giving it a "Yearning Ability" as it wasn't that great, and the fantastic cast wasn't entirely put to good use unfortunately. August is already half-way over! This summer is nearly gone, and what a summer it has been. Hopefully the fall will go better for me and others as well. Have an excellent week.

Albert Nobbs Trailer

Glenn Close Interview on Albert Nobbs 

No comments:

Post a Comment