Monday, August 6, 2012

Into The Woods!

Let's start off with some good news. Apparently U.S. Senator Marco Rubio and President Obama are of the same mind that U.S. Olympians should be tax exempt when it comes to their medals and prizes that they obtain from their competitions. Thank goodness someone possesses some basic sense in the American government. So hopefully that bill which the senator is sponsoring will get passed; I can't see very many politicians voting against it. The other good bit of news is that there were apparently several governmental defections from Assad's government in Syria, and they were high ranking, one of whom was the Prime Minister. In a news piece, one of the rebel fighters exclaimed that this was a huge sign that the Assad regime's days are numbered. Let us all hope so. Beginning my week on food, I made some baked chicken with a nice crunchy batter and some rice along with vegetables. The batter didn't look very pretty on the chicken, but for my first time it all tasted very, very delicious. On my list for this week I have cookies, brownies, cheesecake, cake, cranberry bread, and other things that I haven't thought of yet. It should be a good week, because that is how I am going look at it. Twice I thought about writing, but then I think it was too hot the first time, and then I was in a food coma; I had a lot of that chicken and rice. I did manage to update my website though and write a film score review for THOR, which Patrick Doyle composed. Fortunately it wasn't as painful as Alan Silvestri's score for The Avengers, and I rather enjoyed Doyle's work. One of the reasons I got a slow start to writing today was that while I was perusing Netflix I came across Stephen Sondheim's "Into The Woods" musical, which I saw parts of but never finished it. I began listening to his other works once I figured out that I enjoyed "Sweeney Todd." It has a very catchy theme song, very, very witty dialog that made me laugh a number of times, excellent actors, a n extremely compelling story and plot, but most of the individual songs sucked and were boring. The music though was good, but not as good as "Sweeney Todd." The musical, if you haven't heard of it, combines various fairy tales together to craft a story which isn't quite so...happy to say the least, or rather perfect. Boy it was hot in San Diego today! Wow! And to think it's only going to get hotter, which I am really hoping that August is the only month which will be this hot as things should be cooling off in September. I was going to watch the Olympics, but when I tuned in nothing looked really that interesting so I channel surfed for the first time in years and landed on "Hell's Kitchen." Those contestants on that show are really terrible people; if you've ever seen that show and know how they talk about each other and to each other then it should really blow your mind. I would prefer just to see people cook without all of the drama, and that's what I liked about the Food Network's "Chopped"; all of the cooking and competition without the drama. Well I would say that it was a very full Monday; Tuesday is yet again another day, and another opportunity.

"Into the Woods" Prologue (it would be better with visuals, but I couldn't find anything on YouTube.)

Selection from THOR film score "From Earth To Asgard"

No comments:

Post a Comment