Thursday, August 30, 2012

Farther Out is still Farther.

I am now on The Farthest Shore which is the 3rd book in the Earthsea Cycle. 64 pages into the book and I am bored out of my mind once again, and as the front cover states, this book won a national award. To me it is an incredulous incident, albeit also a superfluous one, but who really chooses what makes a good fantasy story/book and what doesn't. Clearly the people who decided on this author's work and myself stand apart with a great gulf fixed between us concerning the criteria used to debate this matter. Oh well. Perhaps if something gets popular enough then those people will jump on board and shower it with awards, not that the author will need them as he or she will be making a good bit of profit by then. It was another hot day, although it didn't cool off as quickly at night as I would have preferred but I'm not complaining as I am still whole without melting. I met up with a former co-worker of mine that I hadn't seen or chatted with since I got fired June 11th. It was lovely to catch up with her and chat about our lives and what's new, and what's unpleasant. In retrospect I learned a lot from my former job, but one thing that I will take away with me forever that the company I worked for cannot rob me of is the friends that I made in my former co-workers. I am a very lucky man. I did quite a bit of reading, and concluded watching the highlights of the Republican National Convention; Clint Eastwood gave a very humorous speech that all of you should check out on YouTube. I cannot wait to see what the Democrats do at their convention; hopefully it will be as informatively revealing and amusing as the Republicans' was. One more day of August remains, and then the year resumes with school, politics in full swing, and another whole new month for positive things to happen. Hopefully the economy improves, because I could certainly use a job right about now, as I am certain the 20 million other unemployed Americans as well, and let's not forget all of the people in the world that don't have jobs wither. Let us all hope that our leaders get their acts together, put their rears in gear, and do something useful besides arguing.

The Iceman Trailer (it looks interesting, but I don't like how the film seems to make a mass serial killer appear like a tortured hero. Not quite sure what to make of it all).

The Real Iceman. First learned about him in my Abnormal Psychology class in college. He personally killed over 100 people in 30 years, although some estimate that the true number may be closer to over 200. You never want to insult a true sociopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment