Sunday, August 12, 2012

Baking Without an Oven.

Today it was very hot, much hotter than yesterday. And yes, my air conditioning still did not work so it got up to at the highest 93 degrees F. inside of my apartment. It was very, very uncomfortable but now I think I've almost got it down to 80 degrees F. which I was able to do with several fans and some tricks I learned growing up without air conditioning. It really sucks when you're so hot and therefore miserable that you cannot do anything besides sit in front of a fan and literally try to chill, although in my case the fan was simply blowing hot air on me. Later on at night I would go get something from the cupboard in the kitchen and it would be incredibly warm. I really hope that it cools down this week, or tomorrow would be nice. All of the hot air is shifting from the Midwestern U.S. to the west coast, which is great for them but not so good for us; kind of makes me wish that I could swim. Since my apartment was hotter than hell, I decided to go ahead and make my cheesecake figuring that the heat from the oven wouldn't make much of a difference. Well cooking it went well and it didn't poof up or get overcooked, but I will have to wait for tomorrow to taste it and find out for certain. Cheesecake always tastes better if it left to cool overnight and firm up really nice in the refrigerator. So if my air conditioning unit would have been functioning I would have gotten some writing done, but it's hard to concentrate when perspiration is dripping down one's forehead while merely sitting. I even read more of A Wizard of Earthsea but had to give up on that because it was so hot and I couldn't focus on it, but it also didn't help that the book is miserably boring. It has less than 200 pages in it, but I feel it has close to 500 pages. I swear I am going to finish reading this series of books to find out why it is liked and thought of so much; maybe the books get better as the series progresses, at least that is what I am hoping for.

Gordon Ramsay making a souffle. For some reason I really like watching this guy cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment