Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Generation Comes & Goes.

Well after a year and half (at least) I have finished watching all 7 seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I have completed a task that I have been doing since I was a very young boy. You see my father was (and still is) a huge fan of Star Trek and therefore I watched all of the films and some of the series, but I was never able to consistently see most of the episodes from the show, and so I thought since I had the opportunity that I might as well take advantage of it. Next up is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine which is something I have been wanting to watch since I saw a few episodes of it long ago and then never saw any more of it. By now if you can't tell, I am a very sentimental kind of guy. As a writer, I have found science fiction series such as Star Trek and Farscape fantastic, for not so much of their dialog and stories, but for the creators' sheer scope of imagination. Farscape captured this idea much more than Star Trek, but both are a proverbial vineyard fresh with ridiculous ideas and notions which are excellent for storytelling, especially for science fiction and fantasy. That is why I watch these series; some people read books to acquire ideas (which I do as well), but for me, inspiration many times comes from television, films, and documentaries. There is also an element of escapism that is present in fantasy and science fiction which I fully embrace; perhaps I'll create my own psychological theory based on "Escapist Psychology and Personality Theory" when I get my Ph.D or Psy.D in the future. Aside from some job hunting, which wasn't too promising I did a whole lot of nothing. I had a good friend come over this morning (and former co-worker) and we had brunch and chatted about life. It was a fantastic distraction from reality, and not to mention the food was really good. Silver linings come sooner or later, but they do come, and sometimes you get tossed overboard just before the ship explodes. Well like last night after I blogged I began writing my children's book after surfing the web for potential publishers, which didn't pan out very well but that would be impossible to acquire a publisher this early in the process and that quickly after I only finished writing the rough outline. You like the picture; well James Franco is going to be the "Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz" in 2013. It has potential considering the cast and production team, so we'll see. So after I post this I plan on writing some more of it; I seem to do really good writing at night time. I think for me right now, my ideal day schedule would go something like this: waking up around 9am and then going to sleep around 12:30am or 1am. Anything could happen, and here is to possibilities. Cheers!


Star Trek: The Next Generation Intro


No comments:

Post a Comment