Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Emerging From Fantasy.

Wow. I just emerged from reading two hours straight of Inheritance and earlier in the day I read several hours of it as well. Come to think of it, my mind has been absorbed in that book for many hours of yesterday and today. It is close to 850 pages long, and I am doing my utmost to power through it as quickly as possible, which is easy because there are so many superfluous details that they are simple to skip over without missing anything important. He likes to write out in detail the action when his characters to fight scenes and so forth, which is good in a way because the readers then see what the author sees, although I just get confused when I try to transcribe what I read into the visual part of my brain. As a writer, I've tried rather to describe how the characters feel when fighting and minutely describe their actions. I believe Tolkien did that when writing Lord of the Rings. He stayed mainly away from writing out the action of fights and battles and explored mainly the characters thoughts and feelings, that is if I remember correctly; it has been a while since I have read the books. So far the book is...okay I suppose. I really want to discover if my predictions were correct. Mr. Paolini is depriving the reader and his characters of hope and victory every opportunity he gets, which makes me think that when there is finally victory and hope is restored that it will be a great moment in the book; something sacrificial probably. Think Return of the Jedi from the Star Wars saga; hopelessly outnumbered, outmatched, and overwhelmed and the good guys shouldn't win, but they do because the arch-villain overestimates his allies and is overconfident of his powers. In essence, Galbatorix gets killed by his own servant while trying to kill the hero, Eragon. I've taken a break from the French Revolution which I will return to shortly as I should be able to finish Inheritance in a matter of days at this rate, at least I hope. I did a little writing, but since I had been reading so much, my mind just wasn't in it so I am saving a big chunk of it for tomorrow. Had lunch with a very, very good friend of mine which was like a miniature vacation in a matter of speaking. Hopefully I sleep better tonight. I couldn't fall asleep last night, so I read until it was almost 3am. Those early morning hours are a good time to get reading done.

The Hobbit Production Blog #8

No comments:

Post a Comment