Thursday, June 14, 2012

Myths & The Cowboy.

George Lucas I believe stated that the American Cowboy was America's mythology, whereas Britain has King Arthur. I think at the beginning of this week I was flipping through Youtube when I found a couple of songs from westerns like Rio Bravo and El Dorado (which is in my opinion the best western ever). If you listen to the lyrics in both songs, they really do seem...epic, as in the journey a hero takes. For some reason both songs really...I don't want to say spoke to me, but I can't think of another way to describe it. It made me remember what it felt like in Montana when I was visiting my friend up there; life can be very simple and straightforward when you're looking at a mountain from its base and figuring out how you are going to survive climbing it. I really don't know if I can describe my thoughts on it without giving it serious thought and time, but I felt like running away out there and living like a cowboy without any of the troubles in the world and none of the entanglements either. Perhaps that is the draw of the cowboy; unfettered freedom and the opportunity challenge oneself to be better than what is around you, so is to survive of course which was more likely what it was like about a hundred years ago. Anyways, some food for thought. The songs are below if you're interested. The thoughts about cowboys and myths have been pumping my creative juices lately to write some kind of story about such archetypes, but I have a feeling that such a story would take me a great deal of time and effort to properly research and write to do it real American justice. Today was somewhat lazy as well, but I did finish writing that Modern War Story The Sword and the Shield: Casualties of War. I have been trying lately to make each of the editions different in some regard. This story I struggled with because I wanted it to be essentially all internal and taking place in one spot, or rather scene. I had to perpetuate for as long as I could, but I definitely struggled. It's shorter than some of my other stories, but it is certainly narrative intense. It didn't turn out quite the way I intended, but it took on a life of its own. And now I am releasing it out into the world hoping for the best. I'm going to try and knock out another one this week being that I won't be working at a full time job. I hope that most people are aware of what Russia is trying to do with supporting Bashar al-Assad with giving them military equipment to butcher people. What's interesting is when both Russia and Iran claim the U.S. is attempting to destabilize the Syrian government by providing logistical support via the CIA and therefore are acting very antagonistically towards the U.S. Well I hope that we are trying to destabilize Assad's regime; the bloody man has committed 4 known massacres so far, but more will be likely revealed and done before the bloody conflict is over. God be with those people. Usually at this point I state that my work week will be beginning, but not for a while. The job hunt continues though.

My Rifle, My Pony, & Me--Dean Martin

Ride Boldly Ride--"El Dorado"

No comments:

Post a Comment