Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Men Who Hate Women....


...or what is better known as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I actually convinced myself to go see it this morning, and I was surprised to see as many people in the theatre as there were. Oh the title is actually a translation of the real title of the book; the marketers changed it for American audiences. Personally I think the original title has more to do with the plot of the film than the American one. I gave it a rating of "Strong Ability," because it was overall a very well produced and made film like The Black Swan, but like that film there were several things that I disliked about this film. Very hyper-sexual, and there is a vicious rape scene along with oral sex (very awkward to see all of that in a theatre especially with a really elderly couple sitting right in front of me.) Apparently, Stieg Larsson (author of the books the film is based off of) witnessed a gang rape of a girl when he was 15 or 16 years old, and it apparently haunted him forever and the fact that he couldn't do anything to stop it, or he chose not to (social psychology the power of situation). I guess that would bother me too at that age, but anyways. There was just a lot of flagrant sex which impeded on the plot and story line, which was not boring and always on the move; the film had excellent pace. I suppose it all comes down to taste, and despite being well made this just wasn't my taste exactly, but I'm overjoyed for of those who really like the film. The rest of the day I was completely lazy and didn't do anything productive even though I was planning on something. There was some writing to get done, but I'm enjoying my Christmas vacation so much that I don't want it to end. Oh well. There is tomorrow, and I can't believe it is Thursday already; times flies and the year is almost over. Soon the world will come to an end in 2012, which I still have to see that film sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment