Monday, November 28, 2011

A Resting Day.


So today I called in sick, well technically I called in sick last night before I left for work because I was feeling like crap and I told both of my supervisors on a number of occasions, including right as I walked out of the door. However, I get a call from today's supervisor that they still had me scheduled to work and was wondering if I was coming in. After I explained the situation to her, she was kind enough to wish me good health and was very understanding of the mishap. I kind of felt really bad about it, but I thought that my supervisors took care of it; I don't even know what to say about that. So today I just chilled and did nothing pretty much; watched television shows on Netflix most of the day, talked on the phone, and watched a movie. I had been wanting to watch Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence but had never found the opportunity or desire until now for whatever reason. It is a period film based during the 1870's in New York City with the upper elite of society at the time. Daniel Day-Lewis (Newland Archer) is part of a prestigious family (and lawyer) that marries a naive and socially appropriate girl Winona Ryder (May Welland), who is practically perfect in every way and does all of the traditions as they should be done. Finding himself in a prison of sorts, Newland meets May's cousin, the Countess Ellen Olenska (Michelle Pfeiffer) who has recently left her husband and returned from Europe. She defies social standards and traditions and livens Newland's world; their secret love affair yearns and blossoms hoping that together they might somehow be able to defy high society's expectations and be together. Daniel Day-Lewis gave a fantastic performance as did Michelle Pfeiffer; both played their characters believably and sincerely. There were no hot sex scenes between the two, but the passion that their characters felt for each other was just was incredibly vibrant. Overall I didn't really like or necessarily enjoy the film that much; as is usually the case Martin Scorsese remains with me more miss than hit. He captured vivid beauty of vast countrysides with camera and also the luxurious living and dining of the wealthy and powerful. The story was confusing and several times quite boring, and the ending sucked. Because I view film more and more as art than always just entertainment, I watched this film; however, I do not recommend this film for any form of entertainment, and it even seemed a bit of a waste of time as even a piece of art. I will give it a "Yearning Ability" as it just lacked so much to make it a good film. Well hopefully my cold is gone by tomorrow, or at least to the point where I can breathe thru it without the assistance of legal drugs that I can purchase at Target.


This is the real video about the Star Wars collaboration with Standupforcancer that I found; the out takes are on starwars.com which are quite humorous, but then so is this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment