Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Only I Can Live Forever.



Since watching the first Harry Potter film back in 2002 I have concluded that home video watching experience nine years and 8 films later in the grand year of 2011 in the same month the first film was released. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is just as I remember it in the theatre; incomplete like with completely inadequate music to accompany such a grand scale film, not to mention ending an epic franchise. Alexandre Desplat just wasn't up to the task, I don't care what any one else says; David Yates should have done everything in his power to get John Williams for the last two films. Since he composed the first one and came up with the essence of Harry Potter music, it should have been he that finished the entire series, not some redundant fill in the gap composer. I have to admit that the film was better this time around, but still lacked.
Oh well, at least it was entertaining for a couple of hours. Did some writing today and some major relaxing; that long work weekend just pooped me out completely. Clone Wars Tuesdays continues with the Umbara storyline which is only getting better the further along it goes; I think this arc, which is spanning 4 episodes so far, may be the longest so far with the same characters. We still have Master Krell, Captain Rex, and Fives as the main leads with some of the same clones popping back up here and there. You can tell there is major dissent within a core group of clones about what Krell is commanding them to do, and all I can say is that I understand why Anakin took the 501st to the Jedi Temple to destroy it in Revenge of the Sith. The visuals are great with depth, but also the characters have much more depth than ever before, as does the dialog and drama that is happening on the screen between the clones. I'm actually quite impressed with where they're taking season 4 so far. Now if they lose the entire battle for Umbara I would be completely impressed; good guys that always win everything is kind of boring and predictable. What happens in the next episode given the title of it is the Carnage of Krell should be rather....intriguing. Today I am thankful for Jared Penland, who is not only an amazing science teacher, but also a fantastic map maker/designer, and an incredible creative genius. He helped me visualize my fantasy world again and again and helped make other creative fantasies of mine a possibility. Thanks Jared, and I'm looking forward to our next project together. I posted a trailer for The Iron Lady which looks amazing. I love Meryl Streep and the cast that appears on the film, not to mention films starring British actors and actresses always rank high on my 'to see list.'


No comments:

Post a Comment