Friday, October 14, 2011

"Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"


It was a lovely and productive day, very productive actually. Did some shopping at Target, and then set my mind to writing and today it went by much more quickly and efficiently. I also chose to do a lot of baking today as well. I made a cherry pie, a strawberry pie, and some chocolate chip cookies. I would have posted pictures of them, but I can never seem to take pictures that do the food actually justice. I have to say that the cookies I made are the finest chocolate chip cookies that I have ever made; they're so chewy, so tender that oh....my goodness I cannot explain how scrumptious they are. The pies look quite tasty as well, although the crusts were giving me some difficulty, but I expect both of them should taste just fine, and the oven didn't give me any problems at all with heat management which is a huge blessing, although I am watching everything like a hawk more than I use to. Once I was done with all of that I decided to sit down and watch a film for dinner. Among my many options I chose Henry V because I love British acting and Kenneth Branagh. I wasn't quite certain what to expect, but I had seen parts of the film when I was very, very young. The cast was amazing, the filming exquisite, and the dialog was....was....well Shakespearian. This was both great and not so great. There were times when I was enchanted beyond imagination with the exchanges being said on screen with the actors and actresses, then there were times when I was confused and overwhelmed with the sensational and seemingly never ending monologues. Kenneth Branagh was incredible as Henry V and from what I understand quite accurate (along with the majority of the film) with reality. The actual British monarch died when he was 35 years old, and he was the last of the great medieval British kings and one of the most celebrated and popular. I loved the music by Patrick Doyle, and the cinematography was entrancing, and even the wardrobe looked highly accurate for the age. Good technical elements, although I think some of their voice syncing didn't quite go over well. Despite the language of the dialog, there was something awesome about the entire film; I really, really enjoyed it and would love to see it again. It's one of those films that as you watch over and over again you understand more and more of it along with all of the subtle nuances. A "Strong Ability" indeed, below I posted a part of the score from the film; my favorite track. Back to work again sad enough; I can't believe that the week went by that quickly.


1 comment:

  1. I love that film! I even love the monologues. It made me want to read it, but whenever I read Shakespearean English I want to fall asleep...

    ReplyDelete