Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Weeping with Nietzsche.

Today was as yesterday rather ordinary, although I was a little more busy. The heat kept up all day long and was roasting hot bright and early around 10am. Yuck! Not only is it hot, but there is a lot of humidity as well, which makes everything worse. Once again, I thought that I left that crappy weather in Illinois, but it continues to follow me. My air conditioner (I relented and turned it on) doesn't work the most efficiently and it is very difficult for me to concentrate and write when I am uncomfortably warm. I was able to edit two more chapters in Book II, which leaves me only 2 chapters left to edit and then the epilogue! I am enthused beyond imagination that I am near completion for this round of edits. Now I will be able to focus on some other things for a while before once again editing through Book II one last time before handing it over to the publisher. The ending is really good and I am beginning to once again get excited for the book. I honestly do not know where the time went for the day, so I didn't get much writing done. Hopefully that will change tomorrow. I updated my website some more and am developing some ideas for it, although with everything going on I don't know how likely it is that I will be able to put these ideas into practice. Tonight I watched a film called When Nietzsche Wept. It was going to be I thought a German speaking foreign film from the looks of it and the subject matter as well, but it was English speaking. This didn't diminish the film in any way. I really, really enjoyed the film. I know very little about Nietzsche and therefore am uncertain how accurate this film depicts reality, or even the man and his work for that matter. What also drew me to the film besides the great philosopher was Sigmund Freud, although he had a smaller role then I was led to believe from the premise of the film provided. In summary the film was about Nietzsche, and a well established Viennese doctor, Josef Breuer, and how the two men help each other to resolve impending crises in each other's lives. If you have a grasp of philosophy and psychology in the late 19th century, then so much of this film is very fascinating. The acting by Ben Cross (Breuer) and Armand Assante (Nietzsche) with their perspective characters was amazing. I was personally thrilled to see a young Sigmund Freud (Jamie Elman) and where many of his ideas for psychoanalysis originated from, if that part of the film is accurate to history in any measure. The dialog was witty and cunning, and from what I understand a great deal of what Nietzsche said was taken from his writings, which now I am interested to get a hold of and read. The film was also portrayed in its era immensely well, and since I am a huge fan of historical film I was delightedly impressed. Some of the visuals for dream sequences looked a little cheesy, but they were dreams after all so I'm not going to make a big fuss about it. There were some really intense scenes and there were moments of the film that I didn't completely understand, but all of that is negligible. If you like psychology or philosophy then I suggest you watch this film, and even if you don't it still remains a good film with a rather remarkable story about a man and his quest to make his own decisions for his life. What most average men struggle with; commanding one's own destiny from one's own dreams and desires. It earns a "Strong Ability" and I admit that someday I will see it again, perhaps after I have read Nietzsche's writings, or at least some of them. 
"We are more in love with desire than the desired." -Nietzsche



No comments:

Post a Comment