Friday, July 8, 2011

I Had it Now I Have it!

That title doesn't really make too much sense, unless of course you keep on reading. About a month ago I was under the impression that I had finally nailed the title for book 2 in A Warrior's Tale Trilogy, but after toying with the title again today for a couple of hours I found one that works on all levels. It's short, catchy, there's no other book with that name that I can find thus far, and it has a philosophical meaning like the title of the first book if you think hard enough after reading it. That is what I try to capture with my titles (my published ones in particular since it's a little more final); I want them to mean something more than mere words on a cover, and that is why it takes me so long to produce a title, and that is why it's one of the last things that I do. It's hard to come up with something original that conveys a subtle thought or idea that isn't cliche or ridiculous. The one I had originally settled on was good and catchy, but this one is even better and captures more effectively what I am trying to convey with several themes within book 2. Speaking of that wonderful manuscript (since it technically isn't in book format yet) I edited the 3rd draft today and will be working on a 4th draft beginning next week. There were some issues one of my editors brought up, so I have to go back and re-work some things, and then I also need to get my roughly drawn maps sent to my map maker. I have a lot of work to do still before it is hopefully released this winter (November is what I'm shooting for). And after that, I'll only have one left book to finish and then I'll be able to publish other things. Wow! I can't believe I've come this far. It has been over a decade since the inception of this idea, and still it broods strong within me despite my desire to move on to different projects. Aside from that and other boorish stuff that I did throughout the day, it was rather....well uninteresting I suppose you could say. I didn't make as much of my day as I would have liked, but you win some, you lose many, you win a lot; life is unpredictable, so why be predictable all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment