Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothers' Day!


To all of you mothers out there congratulations on having one of the toughest jobs on the planet: raising children. Despite not being married, having no children, or even in a serious romantic relationship I can certainly understand what they go through. At my job I in a sense raise children, and have been doing so for a few years now; me and my co-workers get no attention from the outside world and therefore little recognition, but we deal with a lot of crap every day from homework, to cleaning, to laundry, to "kid drama," to relationship/romantic drama.... The list goes ever on. Mothers get to deal with the same crap on a much more intimate and deeper level than the average western culture father, and for some odd reason their job seems to be getting more complicated lately because people believe that kids need everything. Moms therefore are the natural provider and mediator for all of this to happen. What I say about all of that is..boo-hiss! There should be an even amount of work that both parents provide and do, and kids don't need everything; one thing (like an extra-curricular activity) should be good enough, not five plus, and people, children really don't need cell phones...heck I'd go so far to say that teenagers don't need cellphones. I didn't get my first cellphone until I was a sophomore in college (2005 fall). So moms chill, and society needs to chill its expectations of mothers and raise expectations for fathers where nurturing children is concerned. Work was fine today, although an SED did threaten to stab me because I wouldn't let him do something. It was an interesting moment when he came charging at me and then stopped before breaking down into tears about what he said. Well I hope all of you mothers had an excellent day. I love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment